Teaching the Behaviors You Want:
Autism Distance Education Parent Training -- This is a fantastic set of modules on behavior management, created by the University of California, Davis. It presents many, many useful strategies that will be effective with all children -- not just children with autism.
Online Training on a Variety of Issues Related to Parenting a Child with Disabilities (en español también):
Autism Internet Modules:
Would you like help to understand the world of Special Education?
Need a Dictionary of all those terms and acronyms?
Information on updates to laws, rules, court cases?
Parent Websites from Florida's Department of Education:
http://forparents.florida-ese.org/ This website provides students with disabilities and their families with resources and information to assist with making educational decisions. There are also personal stories of the accomplishments and achievements of some of Florida's most remarkable exceptional students.
https://www.floridastudentsachieve.org This website provides families with information about the performance of specific school districts and individual schools with regard to how well students are doing with meeting learning goals and graduating college or career ready. The website can be searched by district, zip code, or city and provides details about performance in core subjects, educator effectiveness, graduation, and post-secondary statistics.
Comprehensive community resource directory created and maintained through Florida's Agency for Persons with Disabilities:
Florida Department of Health Portal to Disability-Related Information & Resources:
Strategies & Advice for Helping Your Child with Learning & Attention Issues:
Behavior Management/Social-Emotional Development
- Parenting Coach
- Infant-Toddler Social/Emotional Well Being
- Positive Solutions for Families of Young Children with Challenging Behaviors
Reading and Math
- A Child Becomes a Reader Booklet - Parent help for kindergarten through 3rd grade
- Big Dreams - Family Booklet about Reading from National Institute for Literacy
- Book List - Recommended for parents and educators on learning disabilities, ADHD and other topics.
- Dad's Playbook: Coaching Your Child to Read - Simple skills from National Institute for Literacy
- Help Your Child Learn to Read - Booklet from National Institute for Literacy
- La Lectura es lo Primero - Cómo ayudar a su hijo a aprender a leer, National Institute for Literacy
- Tips for helping Your Elementary-aged Child with Math Homework You can do it!!
Pre-K / Early Childhood
- Kindergarten: Should I hold my child back? - Research from NAEYC about whether to delay entry into Kindergarten
- Parent Tips for Reading to Your Child - Tips to make storytime a learning time
- Parent Tips for Motivating Young Writers - Ways to encourage your child to write more
- Florida Office of Early Learning -- Information about Voluntary PreK
- Accessing Specialized Instructional Services Using VPK Dollars
- Welcome to the World - Overview of Your Growing Child Booklet
- Learn the Signs -- Act Early - Development and Disability information from the Center for Disease Control
- Central Florida Parent Center - Provides parents of children with disabilities with information, training, assistance, and support
- CHADD Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder - Education, advocacy and support
- Do2Learn - Communication cards, print resources and more for children with special needs
- Florida Developmental Disabilities Council - Encourages opportunities for persons with developmental disabilities and families to enhance their quality of life within their communities
- Parent Center Hub- Information on disabilities, IDEA, and No Child Left Behind (as it relates to children with disabilities)
- National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability/Youth - Source for information about employment and youth with disabilities. Partners include experts in disability, education, employment, and workforce development